- Decision letters had been sent out. Please check your email folder if you had submitted an application for this school year.
- The first math circle session will be on Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Tuition payment is due September 27, 2019 but can be submitted earlier. Please make your check payable to United Math Circles Foundation. Do not forget to write your child’s name and group in the memo line.
|To Current and Former Students of SJMC: |
Please join us on Friday, May 24th, for the final meeting of the 2018-2019
Stan Isaacs will bring a wonderful collection of puzzles and we will have
plenty of pizza. Students (including former students and students who
plan to apply for 2019-2020) and their parents and families are invited to
attend. We will give awards to participants of our monthly math contest.
We will supply the pizza, chips, fruits, cookies and fruit juice. If you wish,
you may bring additional food for either just your family or to share.
If you plan to attend, and haven’t done so already, please RSVP by filling
out this form: https://forms.gle/43ZQhxWQ3jff6Rpm9
This will help us know how many pizzas to buy.
The meeting will take place from 7:00pm to 9:00pm in MacQuarrie Hall
Room 320 on the campus of San Jose State University.
Here’s the directions and some information about parking.
PLEASE PLAN AHEAD and ALLOW TIME FOR TRAFFIC and PARKING.
The 21st annual BAMO took place at participating schools on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019, and the awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, March 10, 2019, 2–4PM, at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley. The event is open to BAMO participants and their families/guests.
BAMO exam is on Tuesday, February 26, 2019. Registration is now closed.
Do you like problem solving? Enjoy competition?
The Bay Area Mathematics Olympiad (BAMO) is the first step on the road to competing in the national and international olympics of mathematics. There are two levels of tests: BAMO-8 for students 8th grade and under and BAMO-12 for students 12th grade and under. The test will take place February 26 from 4:00pm to 9:00pm on the SJSU campus.
Space is limited; current and former students of San Jose Math Circle will be given top priority for reserving seats. We will send out e-mail confirmations by February 20. There are other sites in the Bay Area to take BAMO.
See the BAMO website: http://www.bamo.org to learn more about the BAMO and to read questions and solutions from prior years. It is best to spend some time practicing for this competition and learning in advance what is expected. You will have a much better experience if you are prepared.
Math Summer Programs
San Jose Math Circle does not offer a summer program, but around the U.S. there are many great math summer camps. The best summer programs usually have an application process and are selective.
- MathPath is a famous summer camp for students age 11-14 (see: http://mathpath.org). MathPath is already accepting applications for summer 2019; they have a “rolling admissions” process.
- Canada/USA math camp for high schoolers: (see: http://www.mathcamp.org)
- AwesomeMath (see: http://www.awesomemath.org/summer-program/overview/location-dates/)
- Berkeley Math Circle summer program (see: http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu)
- AlphaStar Academy (prep. for contests, see: https://alphastar.academy)
- Idea Math in Cupertino is for students in grades 6-12. (see: http://www.ideamath.org/summerprog.htm)
- Stanford Pre-collegiate Summer Institutes has some math and logic courses (see https://summerinstitutes.stanford.edu)
- Stanford Logic is Fundamental High School Summer Camp (see http://intrologic.stanford.edu/summercamp/)
According to our records, we have now sent e-mail responses to everyone who applied for admission for the 2018-2019 academic year.
If you applied and have not received a response, please let us know by sending us an e-mail.
This year we had twice as many students apply to our Intermediate class as we had room for. This forced us to turn away many qualified students. If you have any questions please let us know and we will respond as best we can.